News

Mother Reacts In Shock As X-Ray Reveals What Is Making Her Daughter Drool.

We’ve all seen how toddlers try to put anything they get their hands on right into their mouths, and parents are usually very cautious about the toys they buy for their young children.

But sometimes, popular toys that few of us expect to be unsafe can surprise parents with often dangerous and even life-threatening results as one mother learned and warned others about in a Facebook post.

The toy is called a fidget spinner and was designed to “provide a sense of comfort and peace in stressful situations,” but became a reason for concern for Kelly Rose Joniec, when her daughter put the toy in her mouth and a piece of it came loose and lodged in the 10-year-old’s esophagus.

From Independent Journal Review:

According to one mom, they aren’t just disruptive, they are dangerous. Kelly Rose Joniec posted a warning on Facebook after her daughter choked on one of her fidget spinner’s bearings.

Joniec explained that she was in the car with her daughter Britton when she noticed Britton making an “odd retching noise.”

That’s when Joniec noticed Britton’s “face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth.” The mom wrote:

She could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over. She pointed to her throat saying she’d swallowed something, so I attempted [the] Heimlich but there was no resistance. She said she’d put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it.

The Addictive Fidget Spinners website states the toys have four quarter-sized bearings, that are all “pressure fits” and meant to stay together.

In Britton’s case, one bearing came loose and she swallowed it.

The young girl was okay, but surgery was required to “endoscopically locate and remove the object.”

Joniec is warning other mothers to take extra caution when their children are playing with fidget spinners:

Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed. Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 years old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.

It’s fortunate for the 10-year-old that her mother was able to get the young girl the medical attention that she needed and all ended well. How often do we hear of young children dying because of dangerous and unsafe toys? This is definitely one toy that needs more attention so what happened to Britton doesn’t happen to another child.

Source: Independent Journal Review

To Top

Send this to friend